Date:      Thu, 4 May 1995 13:03:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, gibbs@estienne.CS.Berkeley.EDU, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, daveh@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: slattach!!!!!!!

> > Aye.  You should all just give up and succomb to expect.  Actually,
> > expect is a really interesting tool, and has a lot more fascinating
> > uses than just automating your PPP connections.
>
> Actually, in the case of PPP/SLIP, I think expect is overkill.  Chat
> does the job very well and is already part of the system.  I have not
> yet found a case where expect works any better than a decent CHAT
> script, and there are good examples of complex CHAT scripts in the
> O'Reilly UUCP books.
>

> Nate

Can you use chat to grab variables?  I have an internet provider that
assigns a different IP address everytime you slip in.  (You can get a
dedicated line but they cost more.)  The address is assigned by which
port you call in on and that is determined by a rotary.  Worse, you
can be attached to any of a number of systems so you need to grab
both the IP address assigned to you and the name of the machine you
attached to so you can add the route.

Can chat do all of this?

Boyd

 Boyd Faulkner                                  faulkner@isd.tandem.com