Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:43:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        rob@xs1.simplex.nl (Rob Simons)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: system specific binaries

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any experience with customising FreeBSD so that only
> binaries which are compiled on a system itself will actually run on
> that system ?
> So the local compiler has to give a key to each binary when it's
> compiled, and when executed there'd be a check for that key. ?
> That way only people who have access to the compiler may generate
> binaries, and no 'foreign' binaries will be executed by the syetem.
>
> If this is too easy to break, is there perhaps a way to specify
> from which directories binaries may be executed ?

Perhaps, formulate a system whereby the flags bits on a file are used
in some way...  Note that I am not talking about the "protection" bits,
but there is another group of interesting things called flags bits that
can be placed only under the control of the kernel.  Just a thought.

(Perhaps an "annoint" command???)
John