Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 13:56:12 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        David Carlin <djc6@eecs.cwru.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cyclades driver problem

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, David Carlin wrote:

> Hello,
>         I ran into a small problem while getting my Cyclom Ye-16/DB25 to
> work.  In the file /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/cy.c I had to add the line
> "#define USE_COMLOCK" in order to make my new kernel (FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE)
> work.  Otherwise, it wouldn't compile - saying that COM_LOCK and
> COM_UNLOCK were undefine.  Is this normal? The board works fine, but it
> took me a while to figure out.

No, this isn't normal.  USE_COMLOCK is an internal SMP definition.  It
is normally set appropriately in <machine/smptests.h>.

> Also, what is this "PollMode" mentioned in cy.c?  Should it be enabled for
> the Ye?

As mentioned in cy.c, it is for so-called polled mode which is required
for all cards that don't connect the cd1400's hardware svcack lines, in
particular for all Cyclades cards except for some old ones.  It is enabled
by default for all cards.

Bruce