Date:      Mon, 6 May 2002 07:30:21 -0500
From:      GB Clark <gclarkii@vsservices.com>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shared library versioning in FreeBSD

On Mon, 6 May 2002 12:10:59 +0200
Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading http://abicheck.sourceforge.net/intro.html, and I was wondering
> why FreeBSD doesn't keep the double digits for dynamic libraries (eg
> .so.1.2 instead of .so.1). Is there an online reference to a discussion
> about that somewhere?

I would say it is because FreeBSD does not change interfaces between major
versions.  In otherwords, if you have a libc.so.4 it will work for all
programs that require a version 4 library.  The internals may change, but the
interface does not.  If the interface changes, they do a major version bump.

> Furthermore, is the mechanism to record public symbols between library
> releases, as described in the URL above, also used in FreeBSD?
>
> I'm referring to the
>
> PUBLIC_2: {
> 	symbol1, symbol2
> } PUBLIC_1;
>
> versioning, which somehow should be in the .so. I can't find it with objdump
> and friends.

Not that I know of.  As far as I know FreeBSD stores the library version in the binary and supports
the concept of compatiability libraries.  In other words if your application is linked with
libc.so.3, FreeBSD will look in /usr/lib/compat for this library.

FreeBSD does not change interfaces willy-nilly (Unlike GNOME...:(  Sometimes they don't even bump
the minor when they change a interface.  I've had to update code even when the library version
has stayed the same, NEVER had this problem with FreeBSD).

> --Stijn
>
> --
> "...I like logs. They give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I've been known to keep
> logs for 30 months at a time (generally when I thought I was rotating them
> daily, but was actually rotating them once a month)."
> 	-- Michael Lucas, in Big Scary Daemons article 'Controlling Bandwidth'

If I'm wrong about any of this, then I'm sure that Terry will be by to correct me...:)

GB
A long time FreeBSD user.

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek