Date:      05 Nov 1997 21:31:19 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        mark@vmunix.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD shines..[Fwd: Re: semaphore speed]

> [long discussion about benchmark results in Linux/FreeBSD deleted]
> [Tons of boring and meaningless benchmark results deleted]

Has it occurred to any of you that your benchmark results are
irrelevant unless you run the Linux and FreeBSD benchmark on the
*exact* same machine? Only then can we start comparing figures. Even
then, you have to have a comparable degree of customization in each OS
to be able to draw any conclusions; it doesn't make sense to compare a
production FreeBSD installation with a custom kernel and a vanilla
RedHat installation with a generic kernel.

--
 * Finrod (INTJ) * Unix weenie * dag-erli@ifi.uio.no * cellular +47-92835919 *
  RFC1123: "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send"