Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:56:56 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Richard Cownie <tich@ma.ikos.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SuperMicro P6DGE/P6DGS/P6DGU

> I'm trying to put together a machine with 2 PII-450 cpu's and
> at least 1GB of DRAM (preferably 2GB).  It looks as though the
> SuperMicro P6DGE/P6DGU/P6DGS would be good - my best guess
> so far is a P6DGS running FreeBSD 3.0.
>
> Does anyone have experience running FreeBSD on any of these boards ?
> Experience with 440GX systems with Xeon cpu's would also be
> interesting.
>
> And does anyone know when and where 512MB PC100 DIMMs (needed
> to support 2GB with the 440GX chipset) might be available at
> a reasonable price ?

What's your budget on this system?  You might be able to pull something
off with an IBM Netfinity 5000 box; I believe they have the 2-way Xeon
upgrade out now, and they seemed certain you could put more than 1GB of
memory in the box.

I know they have the 2-way Xeon kit on the 5500, but we don't support
the onboard SCSI controller so you'd be losing badly there.