Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 16:18:04 +2
From:      "Irvine Short" <ishort@pcm.co.za>
To:        amurai@spec.co.jp
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User PPP working nicely, more questions now

Hi All
Follow on from previous post:

> > For anyone interested, I have included my ppp.conf and ppp.linkup
> > although I'm not sure that ppp.linkup is doing anything at all.

> Let me make sure. you mean you did set up default route by
> ppp.linkup by peer but it seems NOT to work ?
The default route is there, and it works but I am not sure if it is
coming from this line in ppp.conf:
 add 0 255.255.255.0 196.7.70.129

or these lines in ppp.linkup:

MYADDR:
 add 0 0 HISADDR

In any case, it works.

> > Problem 1: The user PPP on FreeBSD does not reinitialize the
> > connection if the leased line goes down. The modem and cable are OK
> > with CD working properly, as demonstrated by the SCO box working OK
> > for over a year.
>
> Why don't you use a dedicate mode ? (i.e. ppp -dedicate <peer>)
> This mode will make your dream true ;-)

If I type ppp -dedicate pm3-ct

it tells me "what?" and that's that. If I do a telnet to 3000 ppp is
not doing anything and if i make a ppp.secret file it does even less
in that if I enter the password that I specify here nothing happens
and I do not get the cursor back

> > Even though I have set debug, I have no ppp.log file.
>
> Try do a touch /var/log/ppp.log, first. and make sure
> directory is writeble.

My own fault, sorry. I was looking in the /etc/ppp directory.

> > Question 2:
> >
> > If I am using a leased line modem, did I do the right thing in just
> > removing the \\T for the phone number in the set dial command?
>
> Whenever you invoke a ppp as -dedicate mode, you don't need to
> any dail profile string.
>
> Good luck and let me know your answer for my question.

When I get it working, that is. Thank you very much for your help so
far.

Regards,

Irvine Short

http://www.pcm.co.za/homepage/ishort/irv_home.html

          Technical Support Engineer
          Professional Computer Manufacturers
          Amalgamated House, Jordaan St
          Cape Town, South Africa

     Tel: ++27-21-235084         Fax ++27-21-235089