Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 1996 14:57:16 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        andy.smith@reuters.com (Andy Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, andy.smith@MR.RIT.REUTERS.COM, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FWD: FreeBSD 2.1 and Syquest EZ135

> The drive is IDE, not SCSI. What I was after was a way of telling
> newfs and disklabel that the drive is a 135Mb device to override the
> system settings. Any ideas would be muchly appreciated.

You can override for disklabel by making a disktabe entry that gives
a smaller total number of sectors.

Are you certain the geometry repotred by the WD controller interface
"query geometry" says 270M?  If so, you may have a firmware problem.

In any case, the disklabel will override the raw device size, if
necessary.

If you are using an unlabeled device as an FS, you can give
the "-s <number of sectors>" argument to newfs to cause it to
use only a portion of the space the driver thinks is available.

Either approach will workaround the problem, which wants to be fixed
either in the driver, the device jumpers, the device recognition code
in the BSD driver, or the drive firmware (depending on who's actually
lying about the size of the disk).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---