Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 23:38:32 +0100
From:      phk@freebsd.org
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   GEOM and CDROM media (was: CFR: Volume labels in FFS)

In message <20030124222718.GN53114@roark.gnf.org>, Gordon Tetlow writes:

>I can also forsee being able to hook into devd to do some automounting magic
>for things like zip disks and cdroms (obviously not with FFS, but cd9660
>support would be a good thing to have once GEOM recognizes cdroms).

I am currently experimenting with code for removable devices which
will poll the drive if there is a media in it (too many drives/interfaces
are too stupid to tell us) and this can and could be include CDROMS
as well.

The question in my mind is how to handle complex CDROM formats:

Imagine a CD with this layout:

   1: Data track
   2: Data track
   3: Music "You can build a mainframe from the things you find at home"
   4: Music "I'm a mainframe baby"
   5: Data track
   6: Data track, multi-session with track 5.

(I belive this layout is possible, but even if it isn't, assume
that it is for the sake of this argument, the principle is what we
are discussing here, not what's in the various coloured books)

How and what appears where and why ?

SCSI CD's won't do a thing, you get one device and a ton of ioctls to
deal with.

ATAPI CD's do neat tricks and present each track as a (cloned) device
so you can do things like /dev/acd0t05 etc.

Should CD drivers offer all data tracks to GEOM ?

Or only the last ?

How should music tracks be handled ?  (GEOM can handle them and that
would mean that you could build a GEOM_MP3 module which converted the
format.  I'd scream if you did, but you could :-)

Suggestions welcome...

Poul-Henning

PS: No, I've not made those titles up :-)