Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 01:12:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        MAX@one.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: unknown error

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 MAX@one.com.au wrote:

Please, adjust your mailer not to hide your "To:" line.

> Chuckr,
>
> I am trying to port this database programme -   mumps10freebsd32x86.tgz ,
> ("MUMPS" can be download from www.mumps.org) which currently works  only
> on i386 FreeBSD 3.2, to an Alpha machine running on FreeBSD 4.0
> CURRENT-20000101. The Alpha consists of Digital Alphaserver 200 4/166.

Several things wrong here, I better take them in order.  First thing, this
isn't a FreeBSD Port.  That's probably confusing to you, because FreeBSD
gives a new connotation to the word "port".  Go take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports.html, you'll see what I mean.

Second, have you been watching the FreeBSD-current list lately?  There
have been problems in the compiler lately, and I think they may be your
problem.  I wasn't watching that too carefully, but perusing the mail
archives at http://www.freebsd.org/search.html will help you.

Do you know if this compiles on an i386 current?

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C & Java programming,
New Year's Resolution:  I  | electronics, communications, and
will not sphroxify gullible| signal processing.
people into looking up     | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
fictitious words in the    |      jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)|
dictionary.                |