Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:54:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James Howard <howardjp@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lars_K=FChl?= <kuehl@lgk.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backup file formats:  tar, cpio, pax, yadda, yadda, yadda

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, [iso-8859-1] Lars K=FChl wrote:

> Neither tar nor cpio is suitable for backup purposes.
> Use dump instead.

A lot of people said this.  Why?  As near as I can tell, dump isn't that
great either.  There is no way to exlude specific directories with dump
and it appears to be quite painful to restore a specific directory (though
I could be wrong about this.

> BTW this is a subject for -questions rather than -hackers.

I sent this to hackers hoping someone would say suitable modifications to
tar/cpio/pax could be made :)

Jamie