Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:06:02 JST
From:      "Junan chakma" <bchakma@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Proxy Servers by Average Users ?

Recently I started using the 'delegated' proxy server for
the small local network I got.  'delegated' is working fine
but what confused me is that virtually any user can run
proxy servers on ports(I guess higher ports, like 8080 etc).

For example:

   a user without any extra priviledges can run a proxy
   telnet server on port 8023(or a http proxy server on
   port like 8080, ftp proxy server.......etc.) so the
   user can use that port 8023 as his will to telnet to
   any other machines, local or outside(and those machine
   shows that the telnet conections was from the machine
   where the user is running the proxy telnet server).

Now, my question is: Is there any way to limit the ports
open-able by the average users ?(The /etc/services file
does not have any mention of ports 8080 or 8023, though
it got the last limit as 26208)

Advance thanks for any help or pointer.