Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 2009 17:16:31 -0400
From:      "Sean Cavanaugh" <Millenia2000@hotmail.com>
To:        "Noah" <noah-list@enabled.com>, "User Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to build from ports without downloading ports

From: "Noah" <noah-list@enabled.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:35 PM
To: "User Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>

> Hi there,
>
> I have a server with minimal disk space.  is there a way to build from
> ports without downloading ports or only downloading what is needed for the
> build and then it is removed?

I assume you mean that you have such little space that you would not be able
to download an entire port and its prerequisites and then delete it after
everything is compiled and installed as you could with a simple "make
install clean"

I would recommend doing make install clean in spurts so that you don't run
out of space (get a couple of prerequisites out of the way at a time), or
install the packages for the programs you want and then update them with
ports.