Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 02:30:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/17003: dscheck() overzealously protects labels on non-BSD partitions

The following reply was made to PR kern/17003; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: eps@sirius.com
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: kern/17003: dscheck() overzealously protects labels on non-BSD
 partitions
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 21:24:01 +1100 (EST)

 On Sat, 26 Feb 2000 eps@sirius.com wrote:

 > On a drive using DOS partitioning, dscheck() prevents overwriting the
 > first 1K of a partition that formerly held a UFS filesystem, even if

 It actually prevents overwriting the second sector.  This prevents
 overwriting the first nK if the write is for nK at offset 0 and the
 sector size is < nK.

 > the partition type is changed to something other than DOSPTYP_386BSD.

 This is a feature.  All types of partitions can have BSD labels.  This
 part of the feature is intentional.  If you don't want your otherOS
 partitions labeled, then don't put a label on them, and don't forget
 to remove unwanted labels if you change partition types.  Also, be
 careful when moving partitions.  An old label will wake up if there
 is a valid one in the second sector of a new partition.

 Labels can be difficult to remove, because of bugs in the label write
 (un)protection ioctl.  The only reliable method that I know of is:
 1) Open the whole disk device for the drive, and write suitable garbage
    (normally 0's) over the label sector.  If you use dd, then you will
    need an up to date dd that supports seeking to offsets >= 2GB if the
    label sector offset is >= 2GB.
 2) Make sure that all subdevices on the drive are closed.  An in-core
    copy of the old label will be used until the next open after they
    are all closed.

 Bruce