Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 20:30:28 -0500
From:      Bill Lloyd <wlloyd@mpd.ca>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

mailing list account wrote:

> > > The reason I mention this is that I finally got my Internet provider to
> > > set me up a static route with a second IP address gatewayed through it.
> >
> > I was wondering about load balancing several lines?  For example,
> > if I could load balance two POTS lines with 28.8 modems, I could
> > have the bandwidth of single ISDN at a fraction of the cost.  With
> > four lines I could have bonded ISDN performance, again at a fraction
> > of the cost.
> >
> > Does anyone do this.  Can FreeBSD do this?
>
> don't count on even close to that level of performance.  the phone companies
> routinely use adaptive compression that highly effects v.34 modems.  where i'm
> at, it will sometimes fall back to as low as 4800 baud...  where i was at a
> few months ago, it would usually stop falling back around 21.6kbaud, so it does
> vary from site to site.  i think that with the advent of v.34 modems and the
> availability of isdn, they may be forcing deeper fallbacks in order to get v.34
> owners to get isdn.  i would not put that kind of trick past ma bell, would
> you?  southwestern bell for instance routinely goes to the texas puc attempting
> to charge more for modems on voice lines, so far, the puc has not given in.

The other issue is latency.  Even two 28.8 bonded together won't feel
like ISDN.

Also dynamic bandwidth allocation isn't really the same whn it takes 30
seconds for the modems to dial and connect, compared with about 1-2
seconds for ISDN.

I remember reading somewhere about a router that can bond modems but I
don't remember what company it was.

-bill

--
William Lloyd (wlloyd@mpd.ca)			|    <http://www.mpd.ca>;