Date:      Sat, 11 Jul 1998 02:17:33 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        circuit@vinson.navy.mil
Cc:        dchapes@ddm.on.ca, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: makeinf an executable command in Unix

> I am trying to make a cleanup routine for my hp-ux system. I made a file
> with the simple command
> find / -name core -print
> I saved it as .cleanup
> everytime i execut it with
> . .cleanup
> command it gives me Permission denied on several directories. Can anyon
> ehelp me out here?

This belongs in -questions, not in -hackers.

Execute it as root if you want it to be able to search every
directory.  Execute it as a mortal if you only want it to be able to
search directories only mortals can read.  (The main difference is
directories that may have sensitive information, like /var/crash.)

Better yet, add it to /etc/daily.local and let it run automatically
and mail root the results.  (root generally should be forwarded to the
sysadmin in /etc/aliases anyway; don't forget to run newaliases!)
Don't use find ... -exec rm -f {} ; as this is a security hole.

The command may need to be
  find / -name "*.core" -print
instead, since FreeBSD currently stores corefiles under progname.core
rather than just core.  (I don't know what all versions this applies
to.)

Happy hacking,
joelh

--