Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 18:50:12 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to obtain a path-variable to an subsystem? (fwd)

Hartmann, O. <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de> types:
> Dear Sirs.
>
> Well, this question is maybe not of concern of this group.
>
> I use magicfilter for driving our printer servers and before changing
> the installation (changed hardware and set up a new FBSD) all things worked
> fine to us.

Weird. My magicfilter installation doesn't have *any* occurences of
a2ps in it. Then again - I prefer enscript, so enscript is installed
and a2ps isn't installed, and the magicfilter install used enscript
for those printers that can't handle flat ascii.

> I can not print any job because magicfilter uses a2ps and a2ps uses
> as many other tools for themselfes other tools which they call.
> Now I get a lot of error messages in the log for each printer that fixps
> and related could not be loaded, but fixps is available!
>
> It seems to me to be a problem how to pass the environment variables to
> the subsystem of printers and force them to search at special locations
> like //usr/local/bin.

First, check to see if a2ps has the path to fixps wired into it in the
wrong place. If so, that needs to fix. If a2ps is just looking for
"fixps", then you need to set the PATH variable to include
/usr/local/bin, assuming that's where fixps is set. You can probabl
fix this in /etc/rc.conf, by setting:

	lpd_program="PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin /usr/sbin/lpd"

but if something along the way loses the PATH information, you'll have
to propagate it downward. Setting it in the magicfilter filter files
before a2ps is invoked, for instance.

	<mike