Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:34:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dave Dittrich <dittrich@cac.washington.edu>
To:        Marco S Hyman <marc@snafu.org>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, mike@smith.net.au, billf@chc-chimes.com, ports@openbsd.org, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared libraries in packages

This is embarrassing, but I don't mind admitting when I make a stupid mistake.

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Marco S Hyman wrote:

> Dave Dittrich writes:
>  > Regardless, I think this means that you should not put *any* non-static
>  > binaries on the OpenBSD site (that are created on FreeBSD systems) or at
>  > least provide source for all ported products (as I can't recompile
>  > libpcap until I find the source somewhere else besides the OpenBSD
>  > site -  I'll start sending email to the people who created the ports
>  > to build my own.)
>
> In OpenBSD terms (which I believe are the same as FreeBSD, but am not
> sure) a `port' consists of the makefile, patches, and optional scripts
> to compile from source.  Had you retrieved the port from one of the
> OpenBSD mirrors and attempted to build on an OpenBSD box you would not
> have had shared lib versioning problems.  I take it that is not what
> you did.

Correct.  I was moving too fast for my own good and stumbled down the wrong
path.

> Again in OpenBSD terms a `package' is a tarball containing installation
> instructions and binary images for a particular architecture running
> a particular version of the operating system.  I make most (all?) of the
> OpenBSD packages and don't recall making a package for ntop.  If you
> got a package from a non OpenBSD site for some other version of UNIX
> the only way you should expect it to work is using OpenBSD's emulation
> of that UNIX.  FreeBSD emulation, for example, requires the FreeBSD
> shared libs.  See compat_freebsd(8).

I'd still like to thank everyone for the explanations of FreeBSD/OpenBSD
compatibility, since its going to help me in the future with general porting
issues.

--
Dave Dittrich                 Client Services
dittrich@cac.washington.edu   Computing & Communications

Dave Dittrich / dittrich@cac.washington.edu [PGP Key]</a>