Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 16:38:42 +2
From:      "Irvine Short" <ishort@pcm.co.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net
Subject:   -ddial patches for IIJ-PPP and -dedicated

Hi All and Nate

on about the 13th of Februrary Nate Williams posted the following:

>OK, here are my 'ddial' patches updated to the most recent version of
>ppp in -stable.  If you use 'ppp -ddial host', it will do it's
>darndest to keep the link up *all* the time, no matter if there is
>traffic needing to be sent.
>
>Nate

As in a previous post, I am using my FreeBSD box to connect the local
LAN to the Internet, so I need the link to be up all the time.

Atsushi Murai suggested that I use the -dedicated option which does
not seem to work.

 What is the difference between -dedicated and -ddial?

Where (I guess in stable) do I get the newest ppp code and more
importantly how would I go about compiling it into my system. I am a
complete newbie at that sort of thing. Does the code in stable
contain both dedicated and ddial modes?

I'm off to go and get it to take a look...

Regards,

Irvine Short

http://www.pcm.co.za/homepage/ishort/irv_home.html

          Technical Support Engineer
          Professional Computer Manufacturers
          Amalgamated House, Jordaan St
          Cape Town, South Africa

     Tel: ++27-21-235084         Fax ++27-21-235089