Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 12:04:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Lab <thelab@nmarcom.com>
To:        David Martin <dmartin@sdln.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.7 errors

This happened to me when i upgraded to pine4, considering that my editor
is pico from that package. I downgraded to pine3 again and everything went
fine.

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, David Martin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It seems that every file that root touches on my
> freebsd 2.2.7 machine inherit a line full of U's.
>
> This is very frustrating, especially when trying to
> install programs such as perl or apache because it
> sticks the U's in front of the #!/bin/sh.  The
> problem also appears in ordinary files.  For instance,
> after adding myself to the wheel group in /etc/group
> it decided to put the U's in front of wheel.  This
> of course screwed everything up and doing a ls -al of
> / showed that the files belonged to root UUUUUUUwheel.
> This is easy to fix, as long as it's a normal file, just
> pico and remove the U's.  However when doing the perl
> install it put's the U's in front of #!/bin/sh and then
> the install program can't find the shell so it aborts.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar experience?  I've installed
> freebsd 2.2.7 on several machines and have
> this problem on each.  I'm going to go to 3.0 just
> to see if the problem goes away.  I do know that it
> didn't happen under 2.2.6.
>
> By the way, each machine has a basic freebsd install
> without x.  The only addon programs are pine and
> tcp_wrappers.
>
> I didn't really know what to search for under freebsd's
> search engine, so if somebody's already answered a
> question similar to this please point me to the answer.
>
> thanks for your help.
>
> David

Will 'Mit' Rowe                Systems Administrator/Programmer
Neray MarCom, Inc.			     vox: (416)481-5405
25 Imperial Street, Suite 210                fax: (416)481-3741
Toronto, Ontario, Canada                 http://www.nmarcom.com
M5P 1B9                                            ICQ: 7161728

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
		-- Jules de Gaultier