Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 14:01:29 -0400
From:      Jonathan Chen <jon@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed change to pci_pci.c

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 06:37:28PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:

> I'd be OK with this being done as a hack for now.  I think the bridge
> code needs to be a bit kinder about allowing "stupid" things to be done
> if they're set up by the BIOS.
>
> > I'd like to propose committing the following change which adds a new
> > undocumented option in the spirit of PCI_ENABLE_IO_MODES.  The new option
> > (PCI_ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_IO_RANGE) allows me to boot my old HP Omnibook
> > 4150 while docked.  Since I've seen a couple other people need this fix,
> > I figure it would be more useful if they just had to add a line to their
> > kernel config instead of editing the source files.  Any objections?

The pci_pci code actually needs some other changes done.  Note the comment
at line 267, "If this is a 'default' allocation against this rid, we can't
work out where it's coming from (we should actually never see these) so we
just have to punt."  The "we should actually never see these" part is not
quite correct, since NEWCARD uses default allocation to automagically get
an "unused" range from the pci bus.  Then we have to tweak the window for
the pcipci bridge to forward the new addresses if the window wasn't big
enough.  Not to mention, we still need to implement a way to request bus
numbers properly...

Bleah, hardware sucks.  Give me a virtual machine.

-Jon