Date:      Mon, 18 Apr 2011 10:15:48 +0200
From:      Bernhard Froehlich <decke@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mythtv, FreeBSD 8.X and my pcHDTV-3000

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 22:56:41 -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> So, As I mentionned a few weeks ago I have been looking at finally
> getting my act together
> and getting this pcHDTV up.
>
> given the computer population around here it looks like the best use
> for it would be to run
> a mythtv server on my newly acquired BSD system, and let family members run
> mythtv clients on their OS-X laptops.

Depends on what you want to be able to do on the clients but
multimedia/xbmc also fits in some cases. MythTV can be an UPnP server
and XBMC is a very good UPnP client. There is also an mythtv plugin for
XBMC but the version in ports only supports mythtv <= 0.23. But there is
also an xbmc-devel port available. [1]

> my first question is just for pointers.. do people have any tips on versions,
> patches or even pointers to docs I may have missed.

MythTV is currently only verified to work with webcamd and several USB
devices. So I'm waiting for your results and hope it just works.

[1]
http://svn.bluelife.at/index.cgi/blueports/browse/multimedia/xbmc-devel
or as tar archive http://svn.bluelife.at/nightlies/blueports.tar.gz
--