Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 07:10:19 -0500
From:      Alex Nash <alex@fa.tdktca.com>
To:        phk@freebsd.org
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW bugs? (fwd)

> Yes, (I just talk(1)'ed Nate).  The curent implentation doesn't complain
> about "over-specified" rules.  The portnumber isn't used with "all" as
> protocol.
>
> ipfw and the kernel should both complain about such a rule being set.

Agreed, I'll fix it tonight if nobody else beats me to it.

I recently added another such check to the kernel:

  1.42 Tue Jun 25 0:22:20 1996 by alex
  CVS Tags: HEAD
  Diffs to 1.41

  Allow fragment checking to work with specific protocols.
  Reviewed by:    phk

  Reject the addition of rules that will never match (for example,
  1.2.3.4:255.255.255.0).  User level utilities specify the policy by either
  masking the IP address for the user (as ipfw(8) does) or rejecting the
  entry with an error.  In either case, the kernel should not modify chain
  entries to make them work.

Alex