Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 1996 17:03:27 -0400 (WST)
From:      e8917523@antares.linf.unb.br (Daniel C. Sobral)
To:        arver@sn.no (Arve Ronning)
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5R & ATAPI CDROM Problems

Arve Ronning writes:

> By a combination of pure luck and some inspiration from Daniel C. Sobral
> (thanks Daniel, your mail to 'hackers' 18 Jul generated some ideas),

You're welcome.

> A swift scan through the ATA-2 rev.3 draft revealed a mismatch
> in atapi_wait_cmd() related to the interpretation of bits in
> the AR_STATUS register. ATA section 6.2.12. says :
>
> "When the BSY bit is equal to one, no other bits in this
> register and all other Command Block registers are not valid."

I knew it had to be something related to flow control...

> I think this should be included in future -SNAPs for the benefit
> of owners of ATAPI CDROM drives that probe ok but malfunction
> during install & use. In addition, some feedback would be nice;
> anyone care to try it ?

Are you kidding??? If that happens to work I'll finally get down to
do something serious with it (FreeBSD)! And the timing is just about
perfect: I'll be doing nothing but working with Net and Free for a
month, starting just two days ago... :-)

I'll give you feedback as soon as I can (i.e., in no more than 12 hours :).

--
Daniel C. Sobral                (8-DCS)
e8917523@linf.unb.br

		"Master, do we seek victory in contention?"
		"Seek rather not to contend, for without contention
		there can be neither victory nor defeat."