Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 13:33:29 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mike DeGraw-Bertsch <mbertsch@radioactivedata.org>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Article on wireless networking on FreeBSD

Hi Mike--

Two comments to your comments, and I'm done for now.  :-)

> > I don't necessarily agree with the "stick with 40-bit WEP cards and save
> > your money" comment.  Last time I bought Aironet PCMCIA cards, I thought
> > that 128-bit was the same price as 40-bit anyways.  (Granted, I was *at*
> > Cisco at the time.)
>
> It could also be argued that 128-bit WEP adds more processing time than
> 40-bit, thus increasing latency.  Sure, it's a stretch and not much of
> an argument (especially since the card itself handles WEP), but between
> that and the price difference for non-Cisco employees, I don't think
> 128-bit WEP is worth it.  It's just too trivial to crack.

I was trying to look for some data about the price differences between
40-bit and 128-bit Aironet cards, but I can't find anything now.  I
don't have any data to refute your assertion that there's no difference
with respect to security.

If there were 802.11b cards that didn't have WEP at all (are there any
still?) would you advocate getting those over 40-bit encryption?

> > "Wireless configuration":  I thought the frequency setting was ignored
> > in BSS mode?  I might be wrong on this.  Also, I put most of the
> > functionality of your script into /etc/start_if.an0 (for example) so
> > that I don't need to touch pccard.conf.  /etc/rc.network and /etc/
> pccard_ether call the startup script for each interface automatically,
> > if needed.
>
> I had the darnedest feeling that there was a better way than my script.
>   Thanks for writing that code.  I'll rewrite to use that instead.

Errr...no, I didn't write the code.  What I meant was that anybody can
put a set of commands to configure a network interface into /etc/
start_if.${name_of_interface} and the commands will get automatically
run by /etc/{rc.network,pccard_ether} as appropriate when they bring
that network interface up.  Sorry for being unclear!

Mine is something like:

	ifconfig an0 ssid 'SSID' wepmode on weptxkey 1 \
		wepkey 1:0x112233445566778899aabbccdd

ifconfig(8) can do most things that wicontrol and ancontrol can do, at
least with respect to setting WEP keys, frequency selection, and so on.

Cheers,

Bruce.