Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:04:56 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Parag Patel <parag@cgt.com>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, FreeBSD-Hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mousen

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Parag Patel wrote:

> Today I just purchase a brand new Logitech Marble Mouse for $40.  They
> make three series of Marble-based trackballs, and despite the name,
> this is the cheapest.  Plugged it in to the PS/2 port, and it works
> beautifully.
>
> The Marble design is neat in that it tracks the motion of the ball
> entirely optically.  There are no bearings to gum up.  The ball itself
> is red with a special dot-pattern to allow the sensor to see the ball's
> motion.
>
> The Marble+ design positions the marble to be used by the thumb, which
> I don't care for.  The Marble FX design positions the ball to be used
> between the thumb and finger, and has 4 buttons on it.  The one I got
> is the cheapest, has 2 buttons, and a mid-sized marble right in the
> center for use primarily by fingers.  It's closest to the Stingray and
> Kensington translucent-blue designs and the only one that lefties can
> use.
>
> All are PS/2 mice and come with clever little PS/2<->RS-232 dongles.
> Nice.

Thanks for all the replies, guys, I've learned a lot.  I think I'll risk
one of those integrated keyboard/touchpad things, like maybe the
Logitech ones.  I don't like anything that wants to move on my desk, it
threatens too much instability to the mountains of paper I've carefully
trashed myself with.  I could end up buried!

I've never used a PS/2 mouse port ... always did it serially.  Is that a
problem of any kind for me?  I don't know anything about the PS/2 mouse
port, does it get a dedicated uart?  What's the irq/port?  Rate?  Or
should I invest in the PS/2<->RS-232 converter you mentioned above?

> I've tried trackpads but prefer the kinetic feedback from a physically
> moving device.  Your mileage may vary.

Everyone's got their favorite; I won't insist you use mine if you don't
make me use yours, ok?  Religious topic --> avoidance mode on!
Just give me that facts.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).