Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:25:49 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Brian Astill" <bastill@adam.com.au>, "Derrick Ryalls" <ryallsd@datasphereweb.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Michael K. Smith" <mksmith@noanet.net>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail waiting?

> >>My silly system ...  Using 4.6 RELEASE, 1.1G Athlon ABit KT7A VIA
> >>chipset - running FVCool permanently in idle mode to maintain
> >>CPU cool
> >>temperature.  The really silly bit is ...
> >>
> >>I don't switch off every day, but I have noticed that, on restart,
> >>sendmail.  Last night the wait was 2 full minutes, and the effect was
> >>for me not to be able to get X and worse - "getty repeating
> >>too fast -
> >>sleeping for 30 seconds"  During that sleep, I could work from the
> >>console normally, but then the screen blanked and fluttered
> >>for several
> >>seconds before the sleeping phase was again reimposed.
> >>
> >>This morning - not expecting too much - I switched on and this time
> >>normally again.
> >>
> >>I do not propose to switch off for some time.   :-)
> >>
> >>Q1.  Can anyone suggest any explanation for the sendmail-wait problem
> >>and subsequent horrors?
> >>Q2.  I am cvsupping and ready to update to the latest stable.
> >> Is this sound, and is it in any way likely to resolve my problem with
> >>v 4.6 RELEASE?
> >>
> >My experience is that if your network goes down or DNS cannot easily
> >resolve your name, sendmail will pause for a bit.  I believe installing
> >a caching(sp) name server on the box will probably help out.  I cannot
> >remember the command to install it, so check the archives, but it is
> >really simple.
> >
> > Michael K. Smith wrote:
> >
> >> Whenever I see that hang on sendmail it is due to a network
> >> failure.   Usually the machine cannot contact its IP default gateway.
> >
> Thanks, guys - but why would this be an intermittent problem?  And - why
> would it affect my access to X?  The Good Lord knows what was going on
> last night with the repeating getty! :-)
>
> Everything is just fine, now - my real problem is how can I keep it that
> way?  That of course requires my identifying the cause.
> One clue - I recently went broadband with an ADSL modem and that modem
> is set up as my default gateway.  It is a Netcomm NB1300.
>
> That caching name server idea sounds good. I will have a search on FBSD
> org for that.  That still wouldn't identify the cause, though.   :-(

I assume that your ADSL provider uses PPPoE -- how to you fire up your PPP
interface at boot?

I do this in /etc/rc.conf, which forces ppp to establish a connection before
progressing with the boot, which means that the net connection is up by the
time sendmail is started:

# PPP
ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_profile="HSE"