Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:09:31 -0800
From:      "Morgan Davis" <morgan.davis@hosting.com>
To:        "'John Utz'" <john@utzweb.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'Richard Shaw'" <Richard.Shaw@mondus.com>
Subject:   RE: PCI Wavelan cards under 4.4

I'm not using the AWA-100 quite that way as I have a D-Link WAP 1000
Wireless Access Point that connects to my private LAN switch.

D-Link WAP 1000
http://www.dlink.com/products/wireless/dwl1000ap/

I got the D-Link after reading a good PC Magazine review comparing it to
others (including more expensive Cisco stuff).  The price is great and
the wired link speed is 100mbps (unlike many others that top out at
10mbps -- kind of silly with theoretical 11mbps wireless speed).

The home network is served by a FreeBSD router/nat/firewall/fileserver
machine.  The Addtron AWA-100 pci/pccard is in another FreeBSD "client"
machine acting as an audio component upstairs in my stereo rack.  Its
sole job is to playback MP3s which it pulls over wireless NFS access to
the server downstairs.  Putting the AWA-100 in that little box (see link
below) saved me from having to run wiring between floors of the house.

Shuttle SV24 Mini Barebones System
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1572&p=1

It only has PCI slot, which the AWA-100 occupies.  I would love to know
if there is any kind of a wlan adapter that can plug into a 10/100 port
(or even USB if it works with FreeBSD), so I can free up the PCI slot
for a sound card with digital outputs.  If anyone knows, please
enlighten me!  Thanks.

--Morgan

Mbps
> > over it.
> >
> > The only problem, which I reported here a couple weeks ago, is that
> > regularly get kernel messages on the console about "oversized
packets".
> > Other than annoying, it doesn't seem to be a problem.  Does anyone
know
> > if those messages indicate a real error situation that can be fixed
on
> > my end, is this just debug output, or what?
> >
> > By the way, the Addtron AWA-100 PCI card looked identical to one
sold by
> > 3Com under the USRobotics brand, but was less expensive at Fry's:
$79