Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 08:55:51 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Kazuhito HONDA <kazuhito@ph.noda.tus.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS2 may prevent from sharing partitions with some *BSDs

Thus spake Kazuhito HONDA <kazuhito@ph.noda.tus.ac.jp>:
> In my machine, FreeBSD 5.0-current, NetBSD 1.6-BETA and OpenBSD 3.1
> are installed, and they share some partitions, e.  g.  /home, and
> had no problem.
> Now, however, after FreeBSD mount those partitions once,
> when NetBSD and OpenBSD mount those partitions at boot time,
> fsck stops with error number 8
> and *BSDs fall in single-user mode.  `fsck -y' doesn't succeed too.
> If I run `fsck_ffs -b 32' on NetBSD and OpenBSD, fsck finishes completely.
> But FreeBSD mounts those partition once, NetBSD and OpenBSD fall in
> single-user mode again.
> Though this phenomenon doesn't happen with kernel at 21 June 2002 6:15 UTC,
> that happens with one at 6:20 UTC.
> Differences between them may be UFS2 codes.
> So UFS2 may prevent some *BSDs from mounting shared partitions.

This issue has come up several times before; check the archives.
As I understand, the problem is that -CURRENT uses
previously-unused fields in the superblock, which causes older
versions of fsck to go ballistic.  You can fix this problem in
FreeBSD by using a more recent fsck.  {Open,Net}BSD may not have
removed the extraneous sanity check, but specifying the block size
is a fine workaround.

BTW, the problem isn't UFS2.  If you were using a UFS2 partition,
you wouldn't be able to mount the partition in {Open,Net}BSD at
all right now, as they lack the necessary support.