Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:22:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), /dev/null@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer

> >I think this presumes that the HD is examined at boot time,
> >instead of stopping once the system sees a bootable CDROM,
> >which is the normal case when doing a recovery.
>
> If the problem is a BIOS that can't handle a FreeBSD boot
> sector, perhaps a special boot sector with replacement hard
> disk BIOS code -- such as the one included in OnTrack Disk
> Manager -- would serve as a workaround. The problem
> could also be that the laptop has a suspend/resume feature
> that's looking for a special partition or DOS file and not
> finding it.

There are a lot of problems with the FreeBSD bootblocks in
"Dangerously Dedicated" mode:

1)	Causes divide-by-zero because of invalid/unexpected
	DOS partition table data, predominantly in a number
	of SCSI controller BIOS'.

2)	Doesn't pass all 7 common boot-sector validation
	tests.

3)	Looks like a boot-sector virus to some BIOS'.

4)	Partition type 165 is not recognized by the BIOS in
	some IBM laptops, resulting in a "suspend to disk"
	overwriting the initial part of the FreeBSD disklabel
	and "partition" 'a' with suspend data, trashing it.

These are just the immediate, and not incidental or consequential
problems.

The last one is resolved for Linux in recent BIOS by adding
the Linux partition number to the exclusion list, along with
the Windows and OS/2 exclusions.  Technically, this would be
better resolved by using an _inclusion_ list, containing only
the permissable suspend partition ID.  It can also be worked
around in FreeBSD by ensuring that the FreeBSD partition is
not the first one, and that the DOS partition table is intact,
with a FAT/VFAT partition at the start, and the suspend area
unadulterated, before the FreeBSD partition in the DOS table.

As you note, the OnTrack Disk Manager code does not have the
problem (personally, I use Boot Magic, which comes with Partition
Magic Pro from Power Quest Software).  I even hacked up a little
daemon head bitmap so that it shows a deamon as the boot icon
image; I've had less luck replacing the background bitmap, but
it never struck me as being critical, anyway...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.