Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 20:43:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Robertson <max@underdog.maxie.com>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another cool hack with FreeBSD...

On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Robert Withrow wrote:

> However, in our area, all ISDN lines charge message units.  POTS lines
> can be purchased flat rate.  And ISDN lines require *very* expensive
> installation fees.

THat is unfortunate. I guess it is a case of the phone company cashing in
on the new technology in your area, since in reality the lines are no
different to install than an a normal line, and actually result in less
maintaince for the phone company, since they feed directly into thier
digital switchbaord without any conversion between analog and digital
like a POTS line.

	In an area like that, load balancing on 28.8's might well be an
option worth looking into.

> The only reason I wondered is because of the asinine pricing Nynex
> thinks they can get for ISDN.

I often wonder why there is so little difference in cost between what my
provider charges for the ISDN and a 28.8, it would cost us more if we
tried it than the ISDN does now.

  Jmaes Robertson
  Treetop Internet Services