Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:32:20 -0500
From:      "Matthew Rezny" <mrezny@umr.edu>
To:        "Eric Gatenby" <eric@gatenby.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Large IDE Hard drives

I don't think its size, but rather the controller. I had the same
ptoblem with a HPT366 but then put in a HPT368 card and it runs great.
I was using a couple Maxrtor 36GB disks. The 368 is second version of
their ATA66 controller and apparently fixes some problems. I also have
a HPT374 (their ATA133 controller) that runs great. When getting add-in
IDE cards, stick to Highpoint. I tried a Promise card initially and
about once a month itd do the same thing after running great the rest
of the time, but it halts the CPU rather than nicely resetting the bus
when it has a problem.