Date:      Wed, 7 May 1997 00:12:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.0-SNAP/rc.stuff

Thanks for all the help. I think i have most of my problems ironed out.
The hardest problem was trying to figure out what had changed.  I have
decided I really like the rc.stuff.  rc.conf is very compact and readable.
It just doesn't have as much "help" built into it as I think I would like.
Deciding which ones I could answer "YES"/"NO" to and which ones needed an
argument was a little bit more difficult than I would have liked.  I found
myself referring to my old sysconfig file to figure out what the syntax
was.  Having a better model as to which options were available right there
in the script would be very helpful. Also It would be good if it showed
which options required something to be build into the kernel or other
dependancies. Maybe even if they just pointed to another document that had
all the dependancies listed  like maybe "requires kernel option. see
rc.conf(?)."  Now that I have this on my system I am anxiously awaiting
the rc.conf(?) manpage.

As I mentioned earlier I would like to see a list of all the files that I
should modify, with an encouragement to check these files over carefully
before continuing.  For those of us moving from a 2.1.* system there are
alot more changes than I expected.  When I did an upgrade to 2.1.6 from
2.1.0, it told me which files i would probably have to fix by hand and let
me know it didn't do anything to it.  I was impressed by how well the
install/upgrade took care of things and thought it was taking care of
things, but I think a warning that "XXX files might possible need to be
checked" before continuing would be in order.  files I had to change were:
/etc/hosts /etc/rc.serial  /etc/sysconfig (obseleted) /etc/sendmail.cf

I think it would also be nice to see a complete list of files that are
contolled by or affect rc.conf.  Just so the admin knows the scope of what
he is dealing with.  All in All, I really liked it.  It seemed simple and
compact.  It just needed built in syntax examples so I didn't have to quit
out of it to figure out what to put in it.

When I rebuilt the Kernel, I was really impressed that I didn't have to
make any changes to the config file.  Just a 'config' on the file and a
'make all install' did the trick.  I really like the GENERIC kernel
file put in the /sys/i386/conf directory, containing all the defaults.  It
was very helpful in seeing how things were put in there.

I would like some more documentation on how to implement the IPX stuff,  I
noticed a little in the LINT file, but maybe I just wasn't looking hard
enough.

Thanks for all the help I hope my feed back helps.

Christopher J. Coleman (chris@aries.bb.cc.wa.us)
Computer Support Technician I  (509)-766-8873
Big Bend Community College  Internet Instructor
FreeBSD Book Project:  http://vinyl.quickweb.com/~chrisc/book.html
Disclaimer: Even Though it has My Name on it, Doesn't mean I said it.