Date:      Thu, 4 May 1995 12:20:31 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: slattach!!!!!!!

> > Actually, in the case of PPP/SLIP, I think expect is overkill.  Chat
> > does the job very well and is already part of the system.  I have not
> > yet found a case where expect works any better than a decent CHAT
> > script, and there are good examples of complex CHAT scripts in the
> > O'Reilly UUCP books.
> >
> Can you use chat to grab variables?

Chat's job is to dial into a machine and login.  No more, no less.  If
you need extended functionality then expect may be the tool for you, but
for most folks it works pretty well.

> I have an internet provider that assigns a different IP address
> everytime you slip in.  (You can get a dedicated line but they cost
> more.)  The address is assigned by which port you call in on and that is
> determined by a rotary.  Worse, you can be attached to any of a number
> of systems so you need to grab  both the IP address assigned to you and
> the name of the machine you attached to so you can add the route.

This sounds like a job for ..... 'PPP'.  SLIP isn't designed for this
sort of thing, and you have to add all sorts of additional scripts and
funky stuff to make it work, where it's all builtin with PPP.

Does your ISP support PPP?

Nate