Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 2003 10:52:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <nick@garage.freebsd.pl>
Cc:        phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: geom_mirror implementation

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> I've start some work on more advance RAID implementation wich should
> fit to GEOM just fine. Every RAID level will be a different GEOM class,
> but with one configuration utility. All classes will share as many code as
> possible to be flexible in adding new RAID levels in futher. Strategy
> of choosing disks, failures handle, etc. should be also general. I want to
> provide support for many on-disk metadata formats if it will be possible.

Having a 'generic' RAID GEOM with individual RAID levels in subclasses
sounds like a very good idea.  The basic difference would be the routine
that splits up IO requests according to the RAID level.

regards,
le

--
Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
UNIX Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073