Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 1996 11:38:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, green@fang.cs.sunyit.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: T-shirts for donations ;)...Maybe?????

> > Actually, thinking more on this, I'd like to see a SunSoft-like
> > key-based commercial software distribution CDROM.  Install the
> > demo version, call up with a credit card to get a key to turn
> > it intothe real thing.  I've played with a bunch of these for
> > SPARC SunOS and Solaris.
>
> I (and probably anyone else not in the continental US) would _NOT_ like
> this.  Can you guess why?

No, actually.

> Now a PGP-based mailback system that kept records so that if your system
> and the key got hosed you could re-request the key _without_being_billed_
> would have some merit.

Now I can guess: you don't trust the people selling the keys to keep
track of the keys you own.

This is an administrative problem on the order of maintaining a
registered user database -- something nearly every software vendor
does anyway (and which all successful ones who wish repeat sales do).

Keeping track of the fax copies of the key sent to you is on the
order of keeping track of the CDROM you installed from (which you
would also need to be able to reinstall).  If you lost the CDROM,
having the key available via email wouldn't help, would it?

And if they put the binaries on the net (your next obvious argument),
then they would need to license the patent that covers net distribution
of binaries using license keys.

Nolo contendre.

The magic thing here, of course, is that the license service software
would need to come with the system.

It's logical that the people selling the server software would let
anyone distribute it, since the place they get paid for is the code
that links to the application.

Obviously, if a system came with ABC Software's license server, if I
were doing a port to that system, I'd use ABC Software's client in
my product.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---