Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 00:41:13 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <jim@geekhouse.net>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help with upgrading from a 4.1 port setup?

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001 at 00:29:48 -0800, Rich Morin wrote:
> I have FreeBSD 4.1 installed, as:
>
>    FreeBSD cfcl.com 4.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #0:
>    Fri Jul 28 14:30:31 GMT 2000
>    jkh@ref4.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386
>
> I decided to get brave and bring in a new ports tarball,
> because I wanted to install some newish package releases.
> So, I did this, saving my old (active) ports directories
> for reference.  Unfortunately, when I went into the new
> ports tree and tried to build something (postgresql7), I
> received the following nastygram:
>
>    (SU) rdm@cfcl.com [...databases/postgresql7] 1: make
>    FreeBSD: not found
>    "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 532: warning:
>    "FreeBSD -s" returned non-zero status
>    FreeBSD: not found
>    ===>  postgresql-7.0.3 : Your system is too old to use
>    this bsd.port.mk.  You need a fresh make world or an
>    upgrade kit.  Please go to http://www.FreeBSD.org/ports/
>    or a mirror site and follow the instructions.
>
> No problem, I thought.  Lessee now, the site lists a pile
> of "Upgrade kits"; where is the one I need?  Whoops! The
> latest kit is "For users of 4.0-release or 4.0-stable
> after 4.0-release".  THAT doesn't look right!
>
> So, can someone tell me what I need to do (and perhaps put
> something appropriate on the web page, as well)?

You need the 4.1 upgrade kit.  Will added it to the site earlier today,
but it's not there yet because the site hasn't rebuilt yet.  In the
meantime, you can get it from:

ftp3.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4-stable/Latest/41upgrade.tgz

[ftp.FreeBSD.org seems to be currently having issues]

- jim

--
jim mock <jim@jmock.com>        work: jim@osd.bsdi.com | jim@FreeBSD.org
http://soupnazi.org/              BSDi Open Source Div | http://bsdi.com