Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 16:40:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Larry S. Lile" <lile@stdio.com>
Cc:        tokenring@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 100 Mbit Token ring adapters from Olicom.

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Larry S. Lile wrote:
> Olicom has announced their 100Mbit Token Ring adapter!  The specs and
> datasheet are available from their website at www.olicom.com under
> products/network products/Token-Ring products/High-Speed Token-Ring

For some value of 'datasheet'.

Looking at the card itself I can make out what appears to be an MII PHY by
Level1 (probably an LXT979.  HSTR uses Fast Ethernet PHYs IIRC.), a TI
part that could read 'TLAN' (TI shows no new HSTR parts on their webpage
though.), and a big ass FPGA labeled ALTERA FLEX (which www.altera.com
reveals to be a PLD (Programable Logic Device).  I'm not sure if this
means that Olicom is still in the 'production prototype' phase and aren't
ready to burn themselves an ASIC or what.  Or maybe the expected sales
volume is too low to justify an ASIC or the volume is so high that they
can get really good prices on the PLDs.)

Regardless, they probably will be reluctant to provide programming
information.  Has someone contacted them yet?

> Looks like token ring may not be as dead as everyone would like to
> beleive :)

Its only as dead as Betamax or OS/2.  Superior technical solutions aren't
always the winners in a consumer driven market. :/

On a bright note, I got -all- the stuff from TI on their TMS380 series
token-ring controller including a a big yellow book.  Too bad they didn't
have a PDF. :/

I'll try and set aside some time for driver hacking once I get the
computers up again (just finished moving).

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  |This space | '78 Datsun 280Z | FreeBSD/NetBSD/Sprite/VMS |
| winter@jurai.net |is for rent| '84 Volvo 245DL | ix86,sparc,m68k,pmax,vax  |