Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 08:44:19 -0500
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Ulairi <ulairi@jps.net>, Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SSh for Windows (where's scp?)

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Brian Somers wrote:

> > Woah. Quite an outpouring. :)
> > All right, let's make this a tad simpler.
> >
> > http://www.ecs.csun.edu/~ulairi/ssh/SecureShell.exe
>
> Of course none of these ssh clients will do any form of scp :-(  Does
> anybody know of a Win* client that can ?

I use Sergey Okhapkin's port of ssh & scp on all my Windows9x and Windows
NT machines.

http://www.lexa.ru/sos/

I have had some trouble with the mirror of the ssh-1.2.26 binary on
http://dome.weeg.uiowa.edu/pub/domestic/sos/ports/ssh-1.2.26-cygwinb20.tar.bz2.
I think I downloaded mine from the
ftp://ftp.franken.de/pub/win32/develop/gnuwin32/cygwin/porters/Okhapkin_Sergey/ports/
archive site.

Some "gotchas" while setting it up:  you need to install cygwin's user.exe
package (from www.cygnus.com); you need to make a c:\etc directory with a
passwd file; you need to set env vars HOME=C:\homedir, CYGWIN=tty, and add
the path to the cygwin executables to your path; and you need to create a
C:\bin directory and copy cygwin's sh.exe to C:\bin.  You can copy your
existing identity and identity.pub files from a UNIX system to
C:\homedir\.ssh\

I always use this ssh in an MS-DOS window, but I sure could use some
better terminal emulation capabilities...

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Ames Laboratory       ---         ghelmer@scl.ameslab.gov
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer