Date:      Tue, 4 Jan 2000 10:58:37 +0100
From:      Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>
To:        Steffen Merkel <d_f0rce@gmx.de>
Cc:        Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org>, kip@lyris.com, chrisy@flix.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limited amount of variables in a multithreaded programm?

Steffen,

first of all your, your questions were not bad enough to flame you,
but I moved the thread to -chat, which might be more appropriate.

What you miss (IMHO) is the mapping from the C language to the
machine. If you knew it, everything would become clearer.

Recommendations:
- Get an idea how memory management for a process in the UNIX model
  looks like and what is allocated on the stack and what is not. The
  4.4BSD book will help.
- Get the Pentium manual from Intels' website (really the best
  documentation on the machine instructions, forget normal books).
- View the assembler code of your C routines (gcc -S).
- Use gdb not just to step C code lines, but inspect the lower level
  parts of a running program.

Reagrding threads, I think the usualy API teaching books are near to
useless. My thread books are at home, so i can't recommend one for
now, but I would say a book about thread implementation is a good read
for anyone using threads. Vahalia's "final frontier" is probably good.

Don't try to understand everything from start, just absorb what you
can.

Martin

--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@cons.org> http://www.cons.org/cracauer/