Date:      Wed, 01 Jan 2003 13:30:12 -0500
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        "Dr. Richard E. Hawkins" <hawk@slytherin.ds.psu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: symlinking from www area to files in home directory?

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins wrote:
> I have made symlinks from /usr/local/www/data/<stuff> to within
> www in my home directory.
>
> Some of the files for the class web sites (handouts, syllabi) are just
> copies of things elsewhere in my home directory.
>
> I'd like to symlink from within www to these (and they have 644
> permissions), but apparently the lack of world execute permissions on
> the directories is causing permission problems--and real links get out
> of sync when I update the files.

Make sure that you have FollowSymLinks enabled, for one.  Next, you're right
that directories need the execute bit set, but if you make the files
group-owned by a group that the webserver runs as (perhaps "www-data"?), you
can get by with 750 permissions on directories, and 640 permissions on files.

-Chuck