Date:      Mon, 04 Jun 2001 22:35:21 GMT
From:      Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        mrc@ChipChat.com
Subject:   PCCard modem on IBM Thinkpad 701c

Hello,
  I need some pointers on using a PCCard modem with FreeBSD 4.3:
I want to use this modem with the 'ppp' software.
The PPP configuration is presently working with "/dev/cuaa0"

QUESTION 1:  My modem is identified as "sio4"
             How does that correlate to "/dev/cuaaN" ?
             Where is that setup?

QUESTION 2:  I have disabled the Infrared port on the "Setup"
             which is built-into the machine.  However it seems
             that the Thinkpad does not release the IRQ.
             (see 'dmesg' below)
             Anyone with knowledge of this?
Machine:  IBM Thinkpad 701c
          Built-in 14.4kbps modem
          Built-in Infrared port (disabled in Thinkpad BIOS setup)

Modem:    Xircom (CreditCard Modem 56 GlobalACCESS)

Software: FreeBSD 4.3-Release
          GENERIC kernel
-----------------------------------

$dmesg | grep sio

pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
sio0: type 16550A
sio1: configured irq3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
sio4 at port 0x2e8-0x2ef irq 10 slot 1 on pccard1
sio4: type 16550A

Other messages, which occur when I startup:
Jun  4  21:58:30 suzumushi pccardd[98]: sio4 Xircom (CreditCard Modem 56 - GlobalACCESS) inserted
Jun  4  21:58:30 suzumushi pccard[98]: pccardd started