Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:34:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Don Lewis <dl-freebsd@catspoiler.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        mb@imp.ch, sos@freebsd.dk, marks@ripe.net, ktsin@acm.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Memory corruption in CURRENT

On 22 Aug, Don Lewis wrote:

> At the moment I'm running a set of buildworlds with an August 6th
> kernel, just to verify the problem that I'm seeing isn't something new.
> When I'm done with that, I'll reduce the RAM from 1G to 512M and try
> again.  I'll also try the DISABLE_PSE and DISABLE_PG_G options.

No joy with the August 6th kernel.  If anything, the results were worse
(and the tests were run overnight when the room was even cooler).

The first failure was in iteration #4, but was only a warning:

/usr/src/contrib/ncurses/form/frm_driver.c:3280:1: warning: "/*" within commen

And the file looks like:

/*----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Helper routines for Page Navigation
  ---------------------------^@-------^@-------^@-------\xc0-------^@-------^@--
----*@

/*---^@-----------------------------------------------------------------------
|   Facility      :  libnform
|   Function      :  int _nc_Set_Form_Page(FORM * form,
|                                          int page,
|                                          FIELD * field)

In iteration #5, the same warning was present, and there was a new
error:

cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/src -I/usr/src/
usr.sbin/sendmail/../../contrib/sendmail/include -I. -DNEWDB -DNIS -DMILTER -DNE
TINET6 -DTCPWRAPPERS -DMAP_REGEX -DDNSMAP -DSTARTTLS -D_FFR_TLS_1     -c /usr/sr
c/contrib/sendmail/src/conf.c
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/src/conf.c:190: syntax error before numeric constant
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/src/conf.c:191:11: warning: multi-line string literals
 are deprecated
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/src/conf.c:193: stray '\2' in program
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/src/conf.c:193: stray '\370' in program
/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/src/conf.c:193: stray '\341' in program
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail.

And the file looks like:

        { "errorheaderinunsafedirpath", DBS_ERRORHEADERINUNSAFEDIRPATH  },
        { "helpfileinunsafedirpath",    DBS_HELPFILEINUNSAFEDIRPATH     }0
        { "fo\xbewardfil^]inunsaf
dirpath^\afe",
        ^B                      DBS_\xf8ORWARDF\xe1LEINUNSAFEDIRPATHSAFE },
        { "includefileinunsafedirpathsafe",
                                        DBS_INCLUDEFILEINUNSAFEDIRPATHSAFE },
        { "runprograminunsafedirpath",  DBS_RUNPROGRAMINUNSAFEDIRPATH   },
        { "runwritableprogram",         DBS_RUNWRITABLEPROGRAM          },

Iterations #6 through #10 were the same as #5.

Now to try the kernel options ...