Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 13:57:11 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@ppp-207-193-2-169.kscymo.swbell.net>
To:        marcw@lanfear.com (Marc Wandschneider)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does KDE care what graphics card I use?

In reply:
> moo!
> 	so, I used to run KDE 1.1.2 under XFree86 3.3.5 on a FreeBSD 3.3 system. I
> recently switched the graphics card from an ATI XPERT@WORK graphics card to
> a Creative Labs 3D Graphics Blaster TNT2. I also upgraded the CPU to a
> 750MHz athlon.
>
> 	Now, XFree86 runs fine, and twm and xterms are kinky happy, but KDE is just
> cranky as hell -- buttons don't paint at all, clipping is pretty much a
> wreck -- menus leave turds all over the place.   Upgrading to XFree86 3.3.6
> didn't help at all ...
>
> 	Does anybody have any idea why this would all suddenly be screwed up? I'd
> really rather not have to recompile and reinstall KDE (and I'm not even sure
> that would work ....)
>
> 	Any thoughts would be appreciated!!!
>

> 	thanks,
> 	marc

i suggest getting the linux drivers package for the card from nvidia.
i forget exactly where to go, but i was able to get it off the main
page, and as i recall, some patches were involved too.  you must run
under linux emulation.  i got my card early-mid last year, and using
the TNT2 driver makes a big diff.

on a side note, please tell me if you get a displayed cursor in emacs
when you do.  when i did this, my cursor in emacs somehow disappeared,
and i have to type blind in emacs on the console.  of course, the
cursor only disappeared under X.  i might go through all that bs again
if it's fixed.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or