Date:      Sun, 16 Jul 2000 14:01:53 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't get CVS to work right

Hey all,

After tooling around with this for 2 days, I've got a passle of different
errors trying to get cvs to work.

I was attempting to follow the instructions in the Documentation primer on
building the web pages locally (from
http://www.FreeBSD.org/tutorials/docproj-primer/x2438.html ).  Following
the instructions here, I get the error:

merlin# cvs -R co www doc
cvs checkout: cannot find module `www' - ignored
cvs checkout: cannot find module `doc' - ignored

Thinking that maybe I was missing some steps, or that the module names
changed, I searched and scoured trying to find a listing of module names,
to no avail.

So, I've been tooling and toiling for a couple of days now trying to figure
out what I'm doing wrong.  I decided to make a different attempt, and go in
through the anonymous CVS server, using the info at
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html .  Here, I got the following
errors:

merlin# cvs login
(Logging in to anoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org)
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: connect to anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:2401 failed: Connection
refused

Where I used ``anoncvs'' (both with and without the quotes, on a lark),
again to no avail.

I've read and re-read cvs(1) and cvs(5).

I tried running "cvs init" which added a whole kettle of files to my
$CVSROOT, but didn't get me further.

So, I tried yet another approach.  I went to  ftp.freebsd.org, and found my
way into the directory /.0/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-CVS/CVSROOT, and
managed to find a modules file listing the modules.  So, I FTP'd all these
files to my $CVSROOT and gave it another whirl and got a bit further this time.

I attempted to "cvs -R co www", and it complained the module didn't
exist.  I tried "cvs -R co www_en", and things worked a bit better, after I
created a directory called "www" and "www/en" within my $CVSROOT.  So, I'm
thinking this might work now... but I was wrong :)

Again following the docprimer, I changed into the www directory and
attempted to "make links".  Only problem is that there is *no* Makefile
there to tell it what to do with the "links" directive.

So now, I'm back to being stumped.

Any ideas or thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,
John