Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 10:14:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Nelson <rjn103s@mgr3.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (adduser and changing defualt perms on homes) or (chmod -R in  cron)

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Fri, 28 May 1999, Nelson wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am wanting to have user home dirs to be defualt to perm 0750 and I have
> > examined the adduser script but am unsure what to modify to get the desired
> > results here.
> >
> > I think I need modify the sub home_create in the adduser but not for sure.
> >
> > I have considered a crontab that will do a chmod -R 750 /usr/home/* to
> > ensure the desired results by default.
>
> You'll soon have your users at your door with pitchforks and torches
> if you do that.
>
> on line 931 of my adduser script i have this:
>
>        if (!mkdir("$homedir", 0755)) {
>
> i'm guessing that if you modify that it'll work.
>
> (change the 755 to 750)

doh! i just remebered something, if you want your user's web pages
to be accessable i suggest you make that mode "751" otherwise the
webservers won't have access to the user's homedir.

it'll allow people on the machine to cd into thier directories
but as long as thier umask is correct "027" they should be ok,
(that'll keep thier files private)

-Alfred