Date:      Wed, 8 Dec 1999 14:33:42 -0500
From:      "Steven E. Ames" <steve@virtual-voodoo.com>
To:        "Julian Elischer" <julian@whistle.com>, "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: wd driver will be retired!

Agreed. -CURRENT is all about development. New ideas will be tried,
sometimes (sometimes a lot :) things are going to be broke.

I switched to the new ATA driver on Monday. Seems to work but I have
some questions.

Could someone (sos?) post a quick primer on how to read the probe
messages? With the old wd driver I understood the messages and it was
readily apparent when something wasn't using DMA, large blocks, etc...

The new ATA driver is here to stay. Yep. It needs some serious testing.
Yep. If someone would post a quick how-to of stuff to do/look-for I'm
sure more people would be willing to test with a smile on their face.

Here's the relevant portion of my probe:

ata-pci0: <Unknown PCI ATA controller (generic mode)> irq 0 at device
1.1 on pci0
ata-pci0: Busmastering DMA supported
ata0 at 0x01f0 irq 14 on ata-pci0
ata1 at 0x0170 irq 15 on ata-pci0
.
.
ad0: <Maxtor 71626 AP/QA3C1D20> ATA-? disk at ata0 as master
ad0: 1554MB (3183264 sectors), 3158 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad0: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, PIO
ad1: <QUANTUM BIGFOOT_CY4320A/A03.0500> ATA-? disk at ata0 as slave
ad1: 4134MB (8467200 sectors), 8960 cyls, 15 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
ad1: 16 secs/int, 1 depth queue, PIO
acd0: <FX600S/P01> CDROM drive at ata1 as master
acd0: read 1033KB/s (1033KB/s), 256KB buffer, PIO
acd0: supported read types:
acd0: Audio: play, 255 volume levels
acd0: Mechanism: ejectable tray
acd0: Medium: CD-ROM 120mm data disc loaded, unlocked
ata_command: timeout waiting for interrupt

I have no idea what have of these messages mean. This is less clear to
me (probably because I'm used to the old messages) than the 'wd'
messages.

Also, like others, I'm getting that 'ata_command: timeout waiting for
interrupt' at the end.

-Steve