Date:      Sat, 13 Feb 1999 14:13:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linus on IRC

Christian Weisgerber said:

> > It is part of both a strategy of the advocates, and partly a result of
> > the lack of information of those who know nothing else.
>
> I don't think anybody is advocating against BSD.

Your statement might be true (that you don't see that it is and has happened),
but it is indeed also true that there is and has been significant advocacy in the
Linux camp against *BSD and the BSD license.

Alot of advocacy happens by word of mouth, and it does exist.  Linux's only
major handicap as time goes on is and will be the GPL.  No matter how good it
gets, it is stuck with it now.  That doesn't mean that the *BSD's should be
complacent because of it's superior free license, and part of my work is to
support leapfrogging some technology for the (free) BSD projects.

I respect, but am not strongly influenced by other peoples political or economic
agenda associated with hatred of companies or certain industry.  My interest is
that free work that I do be free, and not be encumbered with silly hoops for users
of my work to jump through.  The "manifesto" seems to be born out of hatred and/or
frustration, and maybe it is simply from day one orthogonal to my interests.

I kind of like the sort of license that says: use my code, but don't steal credit
from me.  You don't even have recode my work to get credit or freer use, and so in
order to avoid that, I already give you very free use.  I also don't take away
your right to spend hours, days or months to enhance the work that I did, and
profit by selling the derived works -- I support your freedom to do with your
own source code as you see fit, including freely redistributing it, without
my own excessive control over you.  I am not crazy enough to believe that your
selling the derived works makes my original code unavailable, because it is
my intent and desire to help others with my labor -- but not overly influence
(force or trick) you to give your time away.

The really cool thing about this is that others who are really moral and ethical
tend either to free their derived works or keep it proprietary.  It seems to me
that those who arbitrarily relicense derived works are being petty (unless, of
course their work is substantial), and violate the spirit of free software.  In
this case the relicensers are no different or even worse than the proprietary
redistributors.  Proprietary redistributors have the moral advantage of
profiting from their work -- profit is not bad, unless excessive.  In our
world, profit is the way to feed families, give to charities, and to jumpstart
the flow of money.  By restricting redistribution for "religious" purposes, it
only restricts the degrees of freedom for profit, and with decreased interest in
a source base for reference works.  The possibility of taint comes into play,
where patches made against code with ugly and restrictive license will likely
come under the more restrictive and unfriendly terms.

Those who believe that credits requirements are "wrong" should reconsider their
values, because those credits are being requested by the owner and developer
of the software.  If someone is advertising a specific feature as provided by a
piece of software it seems to be fair payment to the developer to provide some
kind of credit...  The same kind of thing happens in the entertainment industry,
and isn't really right or wrong.  It is also possible to avoid mentioning the
feature, and this allows the small startup, or someone who is not depending
primarily on the feature to avoid the complications (however minor) of providing
credits on ads.  Of course, the cost of providing credits in binary and/or source
and documentation distributions is trivial, and not worth talking about.  Such
(distribution, non ad) credits are necessary in any case using the BSDL, but
as I said, trivial in cost.

IP workers produce IP for their living.  I contend that it is immoral to suggest
that workers not get paid for work whose results are valued.  Since the worker
*will* get paid, money has to be derived from a source other than their direct
effort.  Licenses that do not value the work provided by past, current or
future labor have little in the way of morality to show for themselves.  In fact,
support schemes depend on the IP workers work being defective, in order for
a support product to be worthwhile!!!! Licenses that force cloaking development
costs as support costs don't provide for the open and honest communication
between supplier and customer as to the real support cost overhead needed to fulfill
the support contract.  Also, such a support supplier, often very dependent on
the free labor from the net, easily sell access to software that is normally
available on the net, without full disclosure as to the real costs and effort
involved.  This is purely an artifact of net-wisdom that supports the sometimes
mistaken notion that there is incremental value-added provided to that
customer, when there is often little other than packaging, and effectively and
FTP command and CDROM pressing :-).  Given that, access to free software should
cost about what WC charges for a CDROM product, and support should cost a reasonable
rate.  By restricting access to free software, it is very dishonest to call the
software free.  Most good software that I use needs very little support.  If I need
to pay for lots of support, it calls the quality of the software into question...
Or maybe...  I shouldn't be paying for support, if the software is of reasonable
quality, right?

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid