Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 20:00:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dennis Glatting <dennis.glatting@software-munitions.com>
To:        Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com>
Cc:        Steve Price <steve@havk.org>, <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Changing rsync to use SSH rather than RSH by default

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Ernst de Haan wrote:

> > The POLA-purists would probably say something like make it
> > configurable via an environment variable like RSYNC_RSH and
> > have it default to /usr/bin/rsh if not overridden in the
> > user's environment.  Also many people are probably using
> > rsync on internal networks and don't need the security more
> > than they need the speed of transfers.
>
> For what it's worth: We use ssh even on the internal network, so that
> if one box is compromised, they won't be able to sniff out any
> passwords.
>
> Another $ 0.02, which makes $ 0.04 !  ;)

On two networks I dump over SSH. One network is a Frame and the other
Ethernet. In each case the limiting factor isn't the crypto but the
network and client systems.

"Internal network" can mean anything. The Frame network, for example,
though geographically dispersed is considered by the company to be an
internal network.

$0.06.