Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:46:52 -0500
From:      Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>
To:        Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Setting java properties for tomcat5.0

[2005-02-11 16:19] Matthew Seaman said:
| That's certainly a possibility, but it means you need root access in
| order to bounce the tomcat server (ie. because the rc.d script will
| use su(1) to change the tomcat process to running as user www:www) If
| I can avoid that necessity it would be good.

	I felt the same pain, and ended up implementing an alternate
daemonctl program that has external configuration file to define
env entries (among other things).

  http://rcfile.org/daemonctl/
  http://svalin.rcfile.org/daemonctl/readme.txt

	You can fetch the daemonctl-port-0.2.tar.gz file and copy
the port into your ports tree and install it from there.

	The tomcat-rc-script.sh can be used to replace the rc script
provided by the tomcat50 port.

cheers.
	Brent